Cats are indeed wonderful creatures. On one hand, they will make you feel inferior with their calm and sarcastic looks – on the other they will sniff your face and embrace you as a human pillow. They’ll sleep all day and make you play with them after midnight and they will definitely make you their slaves. “As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat” and maybe the Cat owns you.
Here’s some of the interesting facts about them you may or may not know.
1. Cats have 30 teeth.
2. Cats rub against us and scratch as a form of communication.
3. On average, cats spend 2/3 of every day sleeping. That means a nine-year-old cat has been awake for only three years of its life.
4. Cats began their unique relationship with humans 10,000 to 12,000 years ago in the Fertile Crescent, the geographic region where some of the earliest developments in human civilization occurred.
4. The first cat in space was a French cat named Felicette (a.k.a. “Astrocat”) In 1963, France blasted the cat into outer space. Electrodes implanted in her brains sent neurological signals back to Earth.
5. Cats were considered to be swashbuckling adventurers and bringers of good luck. These cat heroes were welcomed on ships traveling on missions of exploration, trading and even battles.
5. They have scent glands on their cheeks and paws.
6. Cats can travel at speeds of up to 30km per hour.
7. Cats actually have dreams, just like us. They start dreaming when they reach a week old.
8. Cats have the cognitive ability to sense a human’s feelings and overall mood.(and you thought they don’t care).
9. The ridged pattern on cat’s nose is as unique as a human fingerprint.
10. Cat’s brain is more complex than dogs and similar to humans.
11. Cats can’t taste sweet things
12. Cats spend almost 30 to 50 percent of the day cleaning and grooming themselves.
13. Senior cats start to experience something like Alzheimer’s when they reach an old age, around age 8.
14. Cats can change their meow to manipulate a human. They often imitate a human baby when they need food.
Special Note: Psychological studies have shown that cat owners are more logical and practical than dog owners. They tend to be more introverted than dog owners. Additionally, A new study shows that cat owners are less likely to die of a heart attack and other cardiovascular diseases than people who have never had a pet cat.
Just saying 😀